The Kwanzaa Scholarship
The Kwanzaa Scholarship is presented to a Hostos student who has demonstrated the four Kwanzaa principles:
Umoja – unity
kujichagulia – self-determination
nia – purpose
and kuumba – creativity
The Kwanzaa scholarship is an opportunity for a student who shares a deep and abiding interest in the African Diaspora. This award is open to full-time and part-time students who have already completed at least 12 credits.
Must have a 2.0 GPA or higher
*Students must submit an essay highlighting their life experiences and what led them to seek a college degree
*How have you demonstrated the following four Kwanzaa principles. Make sure to answer each part in detail;
1. Umoja – unity
2. kujichagulia – self-determination
3. nia – purpose
4. kuumba – creativity
*Submit two recommendation letters from faculty or staff at Hostos or within CUNY
*The selected recipient will be required to attend the Kwanzaa Celebration ceremony to be celebrated in December. More details about the event will follow.
Your personal statement will be considered and should be different from the essay required to qualify for this scholarship.
All applications and reference letters must be submitted on or before the deadline.
Please note that paper applications will not be accepted. All applications and required materials must be submitted through the Hostos Scholarship System on or before the set deadline.
For questions and assistance contact the Scholarship Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or at (718) 518-4166
- Supplemental Questions
- Please provide an essay highlighting your life experiences and what led you to seek a college degree.
- How have you demonstrated the four Kwanzaa principles: Umoja - unity; Kujichagulia - self-determination; Nia – purpose; and Kuumba –creativity
- Please provide two recommendation letters from faculty or staff.
- Are you available to attend the Kwanzaa event on December 8th, 2022, at 7 pm in the Repertory? specific date and time to be announced
- Please provide an essay of min 500, max 750 words in response to the following questions: If selected as a recipient for this scholarship, how will you use the funds? Why do you believe you are the best fit for this scholarship? Please describe your history of giving back to the community and/or your peers.
- Please add your recommender's full name and email and have them upload a letter on your behalf
- Please have a faculty or staff submit a recommendation letter on your behalf
- Show 2 more